The Truth About Frozen "Seasoned" Supermarket Chicken Breasts

The Truth About Frozen "Seasoned" Supermarket Chicken Breasts

surprisedpost

You've probably found yourself wondering at some point, what’s the deal with frozen "seasoned" Supermarket chicken breasts? Why are they cheaper than fresh? And what exactly do they mean by "seasoned"? Believe me, I've asked myself these same questions.

We're going to try and answer some of these questions for you and clear the air in hopes that we can make people just a little more educated about the food they buy and put in their bodies.

So lets dive in. Let's start with an easy one, the term "seasoned". The obvious answer you would think is that they've put some sort of seasoning on the chicken breast to enhance its flavour, but think again. What most people don't realize is that in fact these breasts are tumbled in a salt water bath (yes, there's your seasoning for you) before being frozen, hence where they get the name “seasoned” from. This process actually bloats the chicken with water. And thus brings us to our next point.

Since your "seasoned" breast is now bloated with all that water which has been frozen into your chicken, now you get to thaw your chicken out and actually end up losing between 20 to 30 percent of your chickens weight in water compared to if you were to freeze your own fresh chicken breast. That's an absolutely HUGE loss of weight which you probably weren't under the impression of having. So that 4 kilogram case you just bought, well that's going to turn into just 3 kilo's. Yikes!

Now let's touch on a big one, quality. When you purchase farm fresh boneless skinless chicken breast the protein levels should average at 23 percent, but when you go with frozen "seasoned" chicken breasts you will only be getting 15 to 19 percent protein. That's a difference of up to 35 percent! Now, it's probably starting to sound quite obvious which the inferior product is here.

Lastly, let's crunch some numbers. If you were to buy a 4kg case of Supermarket frozen boneless skinless chicken breast from the store at $10.00/kg and take an average water weight loss of 25%. You’ll be losing an entire kilogram in water weight alone! Leaving you with only 3 kilograms in net chicken weight which means you’re actually paying $13.33 per kilogram in net chicken weight. Plus your chicken will only be 15-19% protein compared to ours at 23%, you see where we're going with this. 

When you buy fresh boneless skinless chicken breast from Sprout you’ll know exactly what you’re getting for $8.50/ kg and the quality difference will be night and day, even when you freeze a portion of your Sprout boneless skinless chicken breast. That’s our promise to you! Better quality at better prices.





 

 

 


1 comment

  • Bev Campbell

    Yes but, why is the chicken, which I have always thought is a protein, only say 16% chicken, what is the other 84%, it can’t be all just water, I am so puzzled and would also like to know where to purchase your chicken breasts in Canada?

Leave a comment